What is a child advocacy center?

A children’s advocacy center (CAC) is a child-centered, facility-based program in which representatives from many disciplines — law enforcement, child protection, prosecution, mental health, medical and victim advocacy — work together, conducting forensic interviews and making team decisions about the investigation, treatment, management and prosecution of child abuse cases. A core belief in children’s advocacy centers is that the combined wisdom and professional knowledge of professionals of different disciplines will result in a more complete understanding of case issues and the most effective, child- and family-focused system response.

Can I report child abuse to Michael’s House?

No. Reports of child abuse cannot be made directly to Michael’s House. All reports of abuse or neglect need to be made to either the public children services agency or law enforcement. However, we do encourage you to call Michael’s House if you would like to consult or receive guidance on a particular situation.

Who do I call if I suspect that a child is being abused?

In non-emergency situations, call your local public children services agency to make a report about the abuse. Greene County Children Services can be contacted at 937-562-6600. If you do not know which agency to call, you may contact Michael’s House or the statewide child abuse hotline at 855-O-H-CHILD (855-642-4453) for that information. Please call 911 for all emergency situations.

What information do I need to make a report?

  • The name and address of the child you suspect is being abused or neglected
  • The age of the child
  • The name and address of the parents or caretakers
  • The reason you suspect the child is being abused or neglected
  • If known, the name of the person you suspect is abusing or neglecting the child
  • Any other information which may be helpful to the investigation
  • Your name, if you want to give it. You may report anonymously, but are encouraged to give your name

Is child abuse that big of a problem?

Nearly 700,000 children are abused each year in the United States and 1 in 10 children will be sexually assaulted before the age of 18. Homicide is the leading cause of injury related deaths in children younger than 4 years of age. The cost to society directly and indirectly is over 124 billion dollars.

How many children does Michael’s House serve?

Michael’s House serves approximately 400 children in Greene County each year. The cases represent the most serious, complex cases of child abuse in our community. Learn more about other statistics.

What if I don’t live in Greene County?

Along with Michael’s House, the Dayton region is home to two other children’s advocacy centers.  If you do not live in the Dayton region please visit the Ohio Network of Children’s Advocacy Centers to find a children’s advocacy center near you.

Do children reside at Michael’s House?

No. Children come to Michael’s House to receive services, but do not stay here overnight.

Does Michael’s House charge a fee?

No. Additionally, families may qualify for the Victim’s Compensation Program through the State of Ohio.

How can I become involved with Michael’s House?

For more information on how to volunteer with or donate to Michael’s House please visit our how to help section.

Where is Michael’s House located?

The Michael’s House facility is located at 1016 Rainbow Court Fairborn, OH 45324

Where do I park?

Free parking is located outside of the facility. Michael’s House is also accessible by public transportation.

How do I apply for a job at Michael’s House?

Jobs at Michael’s House are posted on the Dayton Children’s career website.